My Blog List

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Ya Mariam

SURA XIX. 1 MARY

MECCA - 98 Verses

In the Name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful

KAF. HA. YA. AIN. SAD. 2 A recital of thy Lord's mercy
to his servant Zachariah;

When he called upon his Lord with secret calling,

And said: "O Lord, verily my bones are weakened,
and the hoar hairs glisten on my head,

And never, Lord, have I prayed to thee with ill
success.

But now I have fears for my kindred after me; 3
and my wife is barren:

Give me, then, a successor as thy special gift, who
shall be my heir and an heir of the family of Jacob:
and make him, Lord, well pleasing to thee."

"O Zachariah! verily we announce to thee a son, his
name John: That name We have given to none before
him." 4

He said: "O my Lord! how when my wife is barren shall
I have a son, and when I have now reached old age,
failing in my powers?"

He said: So shall it be. Thy Lord hath said, Easy is
this to me, for I created thee aforetime when thou
wast nothing."

He said: "Vouchsafe me, O my Lord! a sign." He said:
"Thy sign shall be that for three nights, though sound
in health, thou speakest not to man."

And he came forth from the sanctuary to his people,
and made signs to them to sing praises morn and even.

We said: "O John! receive the Book with purpose of
heart:" 5 and We bestowed on him wisdom while yet a
child;

And mercifulness from Ourself, and purity; and pious
was he, and duteous to his parents; and not proud,
rebellious.

And peace was on him on the day he was born, and the
day of his death, and shall be on the day when he shall
be raised to life!

And make mention in the Book, of Mary, when she went
apart from her family, eastward, 6

And took a veil to shroud herself from them: 7 and we
sent our spirit 8 to her, and he took before her the
form of a perfect man. 9

She said: "I fly for refuge from thee to the God of
Mercy! If thou fearest Him, begone from me."

He said: "I am only a messenger of thy Lord, that I
may bestow on thee a holy son."

She said: "How shall I have a son, when man hath never
touched me? and I am not unchaste."

He said: "So shall it be. Thy Lord hath said: 'Easy is
this with me;' and we will make him a sign to mankind,
and a mercy from us. For it is a thing decreed."

And she conceived him, 10 and retired with him to a
far-off place.

And the throes came upon her 11 by the trunk of a palm.
She said: "Oh, would that I had died ere this, and been
a thing forgotten, forgotten quite!"

And one cried to her from below her: 12 "Grieve not
thou, thy Lord hath provided a streamlet at thy feet:

And shake the trunk of the palm-tree toward thee: 13
it will drop fresh ripe dates upon thee.

Eat then and drink, and be of cheerful eye: 14
and shouldst thou see a man,

Say, Verily, I have vowed abstinence to the God of
mercy. To no one will I speak this day."

Then came she with the babe to her people, bearing him.
They said, "O Mary! now hast thou done a strange thing!

O sister of Aaron! 15 Thy father was not a man of
wickedness, nor unchaste thy mother."

And she made a sign to them, pointing towards the babe.
They said, "How shall we speak with him who is in the
cradle, an infant?"

It said, 16 "Verily, I am the servant of God; He hath
given me the Book, and He hath made me a prophet;

And He hath made me blessed wherever I may be, and hath
enjoined me prayer and almsgiving so long as I shall
live;

And to be duteous to her that bare me: and he hath not
made me proud, depraved.

And the peace of God was on me the day I was born, and
will be the day I shall die, and the day I shall be
raised to life."

This is Jesus, the son of Mary; this is a statement
of the truth concerning which they doubt.

It beseemeth not God to beget a son. Glory be to Him!
when he decreeth a thing, He only saith to it, Be, and
it Is. 17

And verily, God is my Lord and your Lord; adore Him
then. This is the right way.

But the Sects have fallen to variance among themselves
about Jesus: but woe, because of the assembly of a
great day, to those who believe not!

Make them hear, make them behold the day when they
shall come before us! But the offenders this day are
in a manifest error.

Warn them of the day of sighing when the decree shall
be accomplished, while they are sunk in heedlessness
and while they believe not.

Verily, we will inherit the earth and all who are upon
it. To us shall they be brought back.

Make mention also in the Book of Abraham; for he was a
man of truth, a Prophet. 18

When he said to his Father, "O my Father! why dost
thou worship that which neither seeth nor heareth,
nor profiteth thee aught?

O my Father! verily now hath knowledge come to me which
hath not come to thee. Follow me therefore I will guide
thee into an even path.

O my Father! worship not Satan, for Satan is a rebel
against the God of Mercy.

O my Father! indeed I fear lest a chastisement from the
God of Mercy light upon thee, and thou become Satan's
vassal."

He said, "Castest thou off my Gods, O Abraham? If thou
forbear not, I will surely stone thee. Begone from me
for a length of time."

He said, "Peace be on thee! I will pray my Lord for thy
forgiveness, for he is gracious to me:

But I will separate myself from you, and the gods ye
call on beside God, and on my Lord will I call. Haply,
my prayers to my Lord will not be with ill success."

And when he had separated himself from them and that
which they worshipped beside God, we bestowed on him
Isaac and Jacob, and each of them we made a prophet:

And we bestowed gifts on them in our mercy, and gave
them the lofty tongue of truth." 19

And commemorate Moses in "the Book;" for he was a man
of purity: moreover he was an Apostle, a Prophet:

From the right side of the mountain we called to him,
and caused him to draw nigh to us for secret converse:

And we bestowed on him in our mercy his brother Aaron,
a Prophet.

And commemorate Ismael in "the Book;" for he was true
to his promise, and was an Apostle, a Prophet;

And he enjoined prayer and almsgiving on his people,
and was well pleasing to his Lord.

And commemorate Edris 20 in "the Book;" for he was a
man of truth, a Prophet:

And we uplifted him to a place on high. 21

These are they among the prophets of the posterity of
Adam, and among those whom we bare with Noah, and among
the posterity of Abraham and Israel, and among those
whom we have guided and chosen, to whom God hath shewed
favour. When the signs of the God of Mercy were rehearsed
to them, they bowed them down worshipping and weeping.

But others have come in their place after them: they
have made an end of prayer, and have gone after their
own lusts; and in the end they shall meet with evil:

Save those who turn and believe and do that which is
right, these shall enter the Garden, and in nought
shall they be wronged:

The Garden of Eden, which the God of Mercy hath
promised to his servants, though yet unseen: 22
for his promise shall come to pass:

No vain discourse shall they hear therein, but only
"Peace;" and their food shall be given them at morn
and even:

This is the Paradise which we will make the heritage of
those our servants who fear us.

We 23 come not down from Heaven but by thy Lord's
command. His, whatever is before us and whatever is
behind us, and whatever is between the two! And thy
Lord is not forgetful,

Lord of the Heavens and of the Earth, and of all that
is between them! Worship Him, then, and abide thou
steadfast in his worship. Knowest thou any other of
the same name? 24

Man saith: "What! after I am dead, shall I in the end
be brought forth alive?"

Doth not man bear in mind that we made him at first,
when he was nought?

And I swear by thy Lord, we will surely gather together
them and the Satans: then will we set them on their
knees round Hell:

Then will we take forth from each band those of them
who have been stoutest in rebellion against the God
of Mercy:

Then shall we know right well to whom its burning is
most due:

No one is there of you who shall not go down unto it. 25
This is a settled decree with thy Lord

Then will we deliver those who had the fear of God,
and the wicked will we leave in it on their knees.

And when our clear signs are rehearsed to them, the
infidels say to those who believe: "Which of the two
parties 26 is in the best plight? and which is the
most goodly company?"

But how many generations have we brought to ruin before
them, who surpassed them in riches and in splendour!

Say: As to those who are in error, the God of Mercy
will lengthen out to them a length of days

Until they see that with which they are threatened,
whether it be some present chastisement, or whether it
be "the Hour," and they shall then know which is in the
worse state, and which the more weak in forces:

But God will increase the guidance of the already
guided.

And good works which abide, are in thy Lord's sight
better in respect of guerdon, and better in the issue
than all worldly good.

Hast thou marked him who believeth not in our signs,
and saith, "I shall surely have riches and children
bestowed upon me?"

Hath he mounted up into the secrets of God? Hath he
made a compact with the God of Mercy?

No! we will certainly write down what he saith, and
will lengthen the length of his chastisement:

And we will inherit what he spake of, and he shall
come before us all alone.

They have taken other gods beside God to be their help.
27

But it shall not be. Those gods will disavow their
worship and will become their enemies.

Seest thou not that we send the Satans against the
Infidels to urge them into sin?

Wherefore be not thou in haste with them; 28 for a
small number of days do we number to them.

One day we will gather the God-fearing before the God
of Mercy with honours due: 29

But the sinners will we drive unto Hell, like flocks
driven to the watering.

None shall have power to intercede, save he who hath
received permission at the hands of the God of Mercy.

They say: "The God of Mercy hath gotten offspring."
Now have ye done a monstrous thing!

Almost might the very Heavens be rent thereat, and the
Earth cleave asunder, and the mountains fall down in
fragments,

That they ascribe a son to the God of Mercy, when
it beseemeth not the God of Mercy to beget a son!

Verily there is none in the Heavens and in the Earth
but shall approach the God of Mercy as a servant. He
hath taken note of them, and numbered them with exact
numbering:

And each of them shall come to Him, on the day of
Resurrection, singly:

But love will the God of Mercy vouchsafe to those who
believe and do the things that be right.

Verily we have made this Koran easy and in thine own
tongue, that thou mayest announce glad tidings by it
to the God-fearing, and that thou mayest warn the
contentious by it.

How many generations have we destroyed before them!
Canst thou search out one of them? or canst thou hear a
whisper from them?

No comments:

Post a Comment